#03 – PENTECOST SUNDAY: WE NEED HOLY SPIRIT
A) As we step into a new season we want to continue to ‘get back to the basics’ and focus on our DNA – who we are called to be as a church family.
B) DNA is the fundamental and distinctive characteristics or qualities of someone or something. We want to take time in this season to focus on the fundamental and distinctive characteristics and qualities of TCC.
C) We are growing, there are many great things going on but we also have a lot of work to do. We need to stay HUMBLE, HUNGRY and FOCUSED
D) We want to continue to focus on our mission as a church family and dig deeper into the distinctives of what God has called us to do.
E) Our Mission: To be a spiritual family where every person encounters God’s unconditional love, is established in their identity and equipped and engaged for their purpose
II PENTECOST SUNDAY: THE IMPORTANCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Acts 1:8 (NIV) – But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth
A) The disciples were facing the daunting prospect of having to push forward without Jesus
B) He had told them it would be better if he left: John 16:7 (NIV) – But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you
C) The reason was that when the Holy Spirit came upon them they would have power – the same power that Jesus had on Him!
III WHO IS HOLY SPIRIT?
John 14:16-18 (NIV) – 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
A) The Holy Spirit is the third part of the Trinity – He is God. He is a person, not an ‘it’
B) He is our “paraclete” (advocate) – our counselor, aid, standby, support.
C) He is here to help us, He lives with us and in us. He will be with us forever
IV HOLY SPIRIT IN OUR LIVES
A) We do not have to ‘live this life’ on our own but every step we can take with the Holy Spirit!
B) He will:
1) Live in you (John 14:17)
2) Reveal all truth to you (John 16:13)
3) Transform you (Titus 3:5)
4) Empower you (Luke 24:49, Acts 1:8)
V KEYS TO WALKING IN A GREATER RELATIONSHIP WITH HOLY SPIRIT
A) Believe that He desires to fellowship with you.
B) Welcome Him into your life and prioritize Him.
1) “Good morning Holy Spirit”
2) Give yourself to things that prioritize Him – Worship, pray in the Spirit, read the Word
C) Guard your relationship with Him.
1) 1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NIV) – Do not quench the Spirit
2) Ephesians 4:30 (NIV) – And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption
3) We need to guard against things, attitudes, actions that will quench or grieve the Holy Spirit
D) Yield to Holy Spirit: follow His leading and direction
1) Each time we respond to, follow and/or yield to the Holy Spirit our relationship with Him will grow
2) Bill Johnson: “The quicker I respond to the leading of the Holy Spirit the more power that is released. The longer I wait the less power manifests”
Check out my next post for notes from Frank Viola on “50 Things the Holy Spirit does in our Lives.”