A) Today is our Breakout 2018 LEGACY Offering as well as the conclusion of our “Live to Give” series. A key theme for us this month has been legacy
B) Legacy = something tangible that is passed from one generation to another
C) Legacy and giving are powerfully connected – legacy is all about giving. Legacy is about sacrificing now, plowing the way, and laying a foundation so others can go further and farther
D) Here at TCC we are experiencing the fruit of 48+ combined years of prayer, sacrifice, obedience, perseverance and giving… it’s the season to renew our focus on the legacy we will be leaving to the next generation
II KEY LEGACY STATEMENT: WE ARE AN INTERCULTURAL SPIRITUAL FAMILY DEVOTED TO TAKING THE GOSPEL TO THE NATIONS
A) Our Legacy = being SPIRITUAL FAMILY
1) 1 Timothy 3:15 (GWT) – “I want you to know how people who are members of God’s family must live. God’s family is the church”
2) Psalm 68:6 (NKJV) – God sets the solitary in families; He brings out those who are bound into prosperity; But the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
3) People are searching for family. People are searching for home. Part of our legacy is to be that.
B) Our Legacy = being DEVOTED
1) Acts 2:42 (NIV) – They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
2) We will not be fair weather Christians who are devoted to Christ only when things are easy… we are a people who will persevere.
C) Our Legacy = devoted to TAKING THE GOSPEL
1) Luke 19:10 (NIV) – For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost
2) Mark 16:15-18 (NIV) – 15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation…
3) We are a Rescue Ship Church
4) We need to be devoted to the fullness of the gospel – freedom, healing, deliverance, economic empowerment
D) Our Legacy = to touch ALL NATIONS
1) Mark 11:17a (NIV) – And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations
2) I believe that God wants to do something in us that will touch all nations… but we need to have a “GLOCAL” perspective.
3) We are going to touch all nations but He has brought all nations to us. We have 50 + nations represented in TCC… why not believe God for more?
E) Our Legacy = INTERCULTURAL
1) We are a multicultural church and I’m thankful for that but I believe that God is calling us to lean into being intercultural
2) Multicultural refers to a society that contains several cultural or ethnic groups. People live alongside one another, but each cultural group does not necessarily have engaging interactions with each other. … Intercultural describes communities in which there is a deep understanding and respect for all cultures.
3) We truly are called to a house of prayer for all nations, by all nations.
III A KEY INGREDIENT FOR LEGACY
A) Luke 16:10-13 (NIV) – 10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own? 13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
1) We need to be found faithful with the “little”
2) We need to be trustworthy in handling worldly wealth
3) We need to serve God and not money (and power)