09: HEALING THE WOUNDS OF A SHATTERED HEART
1 Corinthians 16:9 (ESV) – for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
- We are in a season where great and effective doors are going to be opening…
- I’m sensing a double focus – stepping through doors but also preparing for doors that are about to open
- …but there will also be many adversaries
If we are going to walk through these doors… (and even beyond that… simply because God is our heavenly Father and He wants us to mature and grow) each one of us needs to allow the Lord to do work in our hearts.
- We need allow God to work in us so He can work with us and through us
- The degree to which will allow the Lord to work in our hearts is directly proportionate to the degree to which we will walk in our destiny/purpose
- In this season each one of us needs to allow the Lord to work in our hearts.
How do we actually go on this journey of ‘HEART WORK’?
Psalm 139:23-24 (TPT) – 23 God, I invite your searching gaze into my heart. Examine me through and through; find out everything that may be hidden within me. Put me to the test and sift through all my anxious cares. 24 See if there is any path of pain I’m walking on, and lead me back to your glorious, everlasting ways—the path that brings me back to you.
See if there is any path of pain I’m walking on, and lead me back to your glorious, everlasting ways
- A big part of allowing the Lord to work in our hearts is allowing Him to bring healing to our places/paths of pain
Luke 4:18-19 (NKJV) – “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; 19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
Psalms 143:7 (TPT) – He heals the wounds of every shattered heart.
Psalms 119:32 (ESV) – I will run in the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart![a] (Or for you have set my heart free)
- God has called you to run fast – when your heart is not healed/free you can’t do it
- We need to allow the Lord to walk on paths of pain with us and bring healing.
Key: many times we are not aware of the heart pain that we are carrying so the first step is to actually realized it’s there.
What are indicators of unresolved pain in our lives?
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Feeling of shame
- Ongoing depression
- Practiced avoidance of people/places
- Flashback and nightmares and trouble sleeping
- Addictions and eating disorders
- Feelings of detachment or feeling dead inside
- Disassociation from situations or conversations
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Uncontrollable anger
- Self-harm, cutting, mutilation
- Not being able to handle conflicts
- Unexplained or irrational fears
Several thoughts out of this:
- Often we are dealing with ‘fruit’ rather than ‘roots’ – let God get to the roots.
- The majority of the sin we see going on in people’s lives has to do with pain – they don’t need to be judged, they need to meet the healer (How willing would you be to go to the Hospital if you were judged and ostracized for being sick?)
- The deeper we walk in healing the deeper we will be able to take others into healing.
- Healing is not found in formula as much as it is found in relationship with God
- The healing process will greatly accelerate when we open up to others rather than try to deal with it all by ourselves.
Want to get more plugged into Toronto City Church? Here’s 4 simple ways:
1) Join a Connexion Group
2) Start serving in a Ministry
3) Get involve in our GROW Track (Restarting 2019)
4) Get involved in Prayer