03: THE CALL TO CONSECRATION
- In two weeks we are having our First Fruits Offering. The heart of this is that we give a special offering, on top of our regular giving, to sow a seed into what God is going to do in 2019.
- I want to encourage every member of TCC to participate and seek the Lord regarding what they are to give.
Throughout the Fall our focus was “Heart Check”
- “God wants to work in us so he can work with us and through us”
- We need to continue to allow the Lord to work in our hearts but He is working in us with a purpose
- As we come into 2019 my heart is stirred that we will individually and corporately go after the callings and purposes of God in our lives. IT’S TIME!
Romans 12:1 (TPT) – 1 Beloved friends, what should be our proper response to God’s marvelous mercies? I encourage you to surrender yourselves to God to be his sacred, living sacrifices. And live in holiness, experiencing all that delights his heart. For this becomes your genuine expression of worship.
The key: I encourage you to surrender yourselves to God to be his sacred, living sacrifice!
ALTAR’D is about building an altar to the Lord where we offer ourselves as sacred, living sacrifices and thus being ‘altered’ or changed and transformed.
Last week we talked about three altars that Abraham built – Shechem, Hebron and Moriah. This week I want to dig a little deeper into the altar at Hebron. Hebron speaks of alliances and Hebron was the altar Abraham built after he parted ways with Lot.
Genesis 12:1-4 (NLT) – The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family … So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed, and Lot went with him.
- God had instructed Abram to leave his native country, his relatives, his father’s family and go to a land that he would show him. He did it BUT he took Lot
- Lot was his nephew and the son of his brother who had died
Lot coming ended up causing nothing but problems – there was great conflict between the two families and Abraham ended suggesting they part ways and they did.
Genesis 13:14-17 (NLT) – 14 After Lot had gone, the Lord said to Abram…
- When Abraham parted ways with Lot then the Lord spoke to him again and reaffirmed his call and purpose
- There is a call from the Lord in to come up higher into His plans/purposes for your life
- The challenge for many of us, is not that we are completely rejecting the Lord, but that we are following Him but Lot is still with us.
- There is a call to a greater level of consecration for the plans/purposes of God.
You can have your destiny or you can have Lot. You can’t have both
Consecration = To make or declare to be sacred; to appropriate to sacred uses; to set apart, dedicate, or devote, to the service and worship of God
- Consecration means giving your life to the service and worship of God
- Consecration means you are set apartto this life
- Consecration means you are dedicated (devoted to a task or purpose; having single-minded loyalty or integrity)
- Consecration means you are devoted (loving or loyal, given over to)
- Consecration is a decision (to make or declare)
2 Timothy 2:20-22 (ESV) – …he will be a vessel for honorable use…
- We are brought into the house through salvation but we have a choice as to what kind of vessel we will be. What kind of vessel do you want to be?
NLT – 21 If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work. 22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts
- There is a call to keep ourselves pure, run from anything that stimulates youthful lust and pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace
- If I’m going to live a consecrated life there are things I need to run from and there are things that I need to run to!
- There is a fresh call to holiness in our lives: in our thought-life (Phil 4:8), in the things we watch, read and listen to (Psalm 101:3), and in our actions (1 Thess 4:4).
- There is a fresh call to be people who pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace.
This is not just about 21 days… it’s about our lives before God! God is looking for vessels for honourable use – set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work!
Isaiah 6:1-8 (NLT) – …Then I heard the Lord asking, “Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?”. I said, “Here I am. Send me.”
- Where are the ones who will say “Here I am. Send me!”
Matt 22:14 (TPT) – 14 For everyone is invited to enter in, but few respond in excellence.”
- Everyone is invited to enter in, but few respond in excellence
- There is an invitation from the Lord right now but who will respond in excellence?
Want to get more plugged into Toronto City Church? Get involved in our TCC Next Steps Course which will be starting in February 2019!