#1 – SITTING AT HIS FEET
I “DEEP CALLS” WEEK OF PRAYER AND FASTING
A) In 2018 God is calling us deeper. We are giving ourselves to a week of prayer and fasting to prepare our hearts to answer this call.
B) We are going to go deeper through:
1) FASTING – we encourage everyone to fast during this week.
2) PRAYING – take extra time for daily personal prayer. Join a prayer call. Join us on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night for corporate prayer and worship at 7:15 p.m.
3) DAILY DEVOTIONALS – take daily time in the Word of God and listening to Holy Spirit.
C) You can find resources on http://www.brendanwitton.com on basics of how to grow in the word and prayer and effective fasting, (This will be posted for Monday)
D) Next Sunday I’m going to share the “Word of the Lord for 2018” – for our lives and our church family.
Psalm 42:7 – Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
A) As we come into 2018 there is a call to go deeper – no matter where you are at in your walk right now there is more!
Luke 6:46-49 (NIV) – 46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? 47 As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. 48 They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.
B) God is calling you to build a life that glorifies Him but you want to dig down deep!
C) God is calling us to build a church that glorifies Him and impacts our city and our nation but we have to dig down deep!
III JESUS VISITS MARY AND MARTHA
Luke 10:38-42 (Passion Translation) – “38–39 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their journey, they came to a village where a woman welcomed Jesus into her home. Her name was Martha and she had a sister named Mary. Mary sat down attentively before the Master, absorbing every revelation he shared. 40 But Martha became exasperated by finishing the numerous household chores in preparation for her guests, so she interrupted Jesus and said, “Lord, don’t you think it’s unfair that my sister left me to do all the work by myself? You should tell her to get up and help me.” 41 The Lord answered her, “Martha, my beloved Martha. Why are you upset and troubled, pulled away by all these many distractions? Are they really that important? 42 Mary has discovered the one thing most important by choosing to sit at my feet. She is undistracted, and I won’t take this privilege from her.””
A) I want to share some truths from this passage for all who will answer this call to go deeper:
B) “…where a woman WELCOMED Jesus into her home.”
1) Martha welcomed Jesus in her home. There were many people in that village but Martha was the one who opened up her home.
2) Welcome = to glady receive, to receive and treat someone hospitably, to be allowed or invited to do a specific thing
3) There is a big difference between tolerating and celebrating someone
4) Will you welcome Jesus in your life in 2018?
C) “Mary sat down ATTENTIVELY before the Master…”
1) Mary didn’t just sit before the master but she sat attentively
2) God is looking for those who will pay attention to Him this year… there are things that are going to come only to those who ‘pay attention’
3) Will you pay attention to Jesus this year?
D) “…absorbing every REVELATION he shared.”
1) God wants to release a fresh spirit of wisdom and revelation to anyone who will pay attention this year
2) There are things that He wants to show you that you do not know yet.
3) I love the use of the word absorb – this isn’t a quick fix
4) Where is the person who will pay attention and absorb revelation in 2018?
E) “But Martha because EXASPERATED by finishing the numerous household chores in preparation for her guests…”
1) One of the greatest enemies of going deeper is the busyness of life
2) You need to strategize, you need to say no, you need to streamline
3) One of the most dangerous times for this is when ‘favour’ is released over your life
4) Where is the person who will not allow busyness to distract them from what really matters?
F) “… so she interrupted Jesus and said, “Lord, don’t you think it’s unfair that my sister left me to do all the work by myself? You should tell her to get up and help me.”
1) Martha got offended by her sister
2) Guard against offense this coming year – it cause you to get stuck and not go any deeper
3) Offense = a trap that wants to hold you back.
4) Will you walk in love this year and refuse to give room to offense?
G) “Why are you UPSET and TROUBLED, pulled away by all these many DISTRACTIONS? Are they really that important?”
1) Here are three key weapons the enemy will use to hinder you from going deeper this year
(i) He will try and get you upset
(ii) He will try and get you troubled
(iii) He will try and get you distracted
2) Don’t do it! Don’t let it happen!!!
3) Will you trust God rather than getting upset, cast your cares (and troubles) on him and embrace laser focus in 2018?
H) “Mary has discovered the ONE THING most important by choosing to SIT AT MY FEET …She is UNDISTRACTED, and I won’t take this privilege from her.”
1) I want to call you to the privilege of sitting at his feet in 2018
2) I want to call you to the privilege of being a person of the word in 2018
3) I want to call you to the privilege of being a person of prayer in 2018
4) I want to call you to the privilege of being a person who fasts in 2018
5) God is calling you deeper but will you say ‘yes!’?
Note: remember these notes are available at http://www.BrendanWitton.com and check back this Monday for basics on reading the Bible and Prayer, and on fasting.
Thanks for taking the time to read. Feel free to leave a comment below. If you would like to have new posts delivered directly to your e-mail please click on the folder icon in the menu bar above and enter your e-mail address to subscribe.