Get connected in what God is doing at TCC:
- Growth Track
PROSPERING IN YOUR MIND Pt 2
3 John 2 (NKJV) – Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
- God’s desire is for us to prosper and be in health in this season… this is directly connected to our ’soul prosperity’
- 1 Thess 5:23 (ESV) – …and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We are a spirit, we have a soul, we live in a body
- Our soul = our mind, will, and emotions
- God wants to prosper our souls in this season
Nehemiah 4:17 (ESV) – 17 who were building on the wall. Those who carried burdens were loaded in such a way that each laboured on the work with one hand and held his weapon with the other.
- When it comes to a prosperous mind we will need to build and we will need to battle.
- This lesson our focus is on battling = We need to take every thought captive!
Ephesians 6:12 (NLT) – 10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
- We are in the midst of a battle
- Our battle is not against flesh-and-blood enemies but against evil rulers and authorities in the unseen world
- We are not fighting for victory but standing firm in the victory that Jesus gave us… nevertheless, there is a fight
One of the main battlefields in this is the battle in our minds
2 Cor 10:3-5 (NIV) – 3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
- Again, we see this concept that we live in the world, but we are not fighting a natural battle
- We are not fighting with natural weapons but spiritual ones that have divine power to demolish strongholds
- Strongholds = arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God
- A stronghold is a fortress of thought that controls or influences us
- One of the enemy’s key strategies is to control the way we think… because how you think leads to what you believe, what you say and what you do
What is the Answer? To take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ
- The enemy is going to attack your thought life – this is a reality. We cannot pray for God to take away all bad thoughts.
- We can’t control whether a thought will come… but we can control what we do with it when it does come
- We have a choice: we can receive the thought, or we can take it captive
- Ex: receiving a package. Just because it comes doesn’t mean we have to receive it.
How do we take a thought captive?
Matthew 4:1-11 – Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” 4 But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God…
- When a wrong thought comes, we need to respond with the Word
- Speaking always overpowers thinking… and when we speak the Word, we release His power into our situation
- Ephesians 6:17 (ESV) – 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word (RHEMA) of God,
1 Peter 1:13 (ESV) – 13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
For Further Study:
- The Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer – https://bit.ly/2m0WTws
- The Renewing of Your Mind by Bill Johnson – https://bit.ly/2kVyfgB
Get out to a Connexion this week where I will be sharing/we will be discussing several more keys to ‘winning the battle in your mind’.
Want to get more plugged into Toronto City Church? Get involved in our TCC Next Steps immediately following service!